From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2017 15:33:36 -0400
This morning I saw an osprey soaring low over the Cuyahoga River as I stood on the Fitzwater Road Bridge just south of Alexander Road and Canal Road. There were cliff swallows flying under and around the Bridge.

I walked north to the marsh and saw a female Hooded Merganser with six youngsters. The young ducklings were able to dive very well. When they went under, you never knew where they were going to come up.

There were barn swallows and northern rough-winged swallows landing near the water to gather mud and small twigs for nesting. A spotted sandpiper poked around the mud nearby.

There were two yellow-billed cuckoos in the trees and shrubs near the power line corridor at the end of the closed section of Riverview Road where it meets the railroad tracks and the Cuyahoga River. I remember last year during "Cicada Fest" when there were a lot of cuckoos around in the Valley.

I also heard a gray catbird near the marsh. At one point it let out the series of descending notes in a sora call. I didn't see any soras today; but, this catbird has heard one at some point.

Farther to the north just outside the Valley I drove near the intersection of Rockside Road and Turney Road near the Marc's Plaza in Garfield Heights. I did not see any fish crows in this area where they were easily seen last year.