From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2017 20:07:40 -0400
Bird numbers, species & activity much lower today than yesterday but still some nice birds & photo ops.

Only new Warbler for me was a brief but good look at the top half of a Mourning Warbler--gray hood, black eye--enough for an id! Still a few Wilson's & Canadas. Fair numbers of Chestnut-sideds, Maggies, & Blackpolls. A couple Prothonotaries were setting altitude records as they sang from open perches 8 or so feet off the ground.

A v cooperative Am Woodcock by the Boardwalk was a treat--it even preened in a spot of sun. Thx to the birders who alerted me. I'm amazed how small this bird looks naked eye.

Sandhill Cranes were vocalizing sporadically in the morning--never get tired of that call.

A stop at the Metzger woodlot didn't produce any new warbler species but I tallied 9 warbler species in a relatively short period of time incl another Canada. It's such a small area but has amazing diversity.

Final 2-day tally: 85 species (16 warblers).

Peggy Wang
Hudson
Sent from my iPad