From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 14:29:37 -0400
Yesterday Jane and I walked the full perimeter route around our farm and
forest property.

There was nothing overly remarkable about this walk, other than that it
began and ended right at my back door. I love it here. I returned home
Sunday evening following two weeks of consulting work in sunny but
overly-populated and traffic-congested southern California (headquartered
in Pasadena.) While I was out there I did manage to observe a lifer, a
Lewis's woodpecker I enjoyed seeing in the foothills of Orange County.

But it's great to be home for a couple weeks. Yesterday's walk was graced
by the voice of a singing hooded warbler. I celebrate this species as the
reason I'm interested in birds, because... well... I guess there has to be
a reason. In May of 1963 young nine-year-old Bobby was bored. No friends
were available to play. So I explored as I often did in the small woodlot
in the backyard of the house where I grew up, in the Columbus suburb of
Whitehall. As I was imagining that I was Tarzan, or some such boyish
fantasy, a hooded warbler flitted down and perched within eight feet. I
remember the moment as if it was yesterday. I stood there mesmerized by a
bird I had never seen or even imagined. Mom had feeders, and I was familiar
with all the usual birds. I used to draw cardinals ad nauseam. But this was
new, and transformative, urging me forward into a life of fascination with
the wonders of the natural world.

So, each year I pause, smile, and remember, whenever I first encounter a
hooded warbler. It has been 54 years of wonders.

Other "new" stuff encountered yesterday:

catbirds
Lot's of rose-breasted grosbeaks
many common yellowthroats
black-throated green warbler (singing)
Nashville warbler

At one point I had Kentucky warbler, Carolina wren, and ovenbird within
earshot, offering a great comparison of songs.

I haven't had Kentucky warbler around here for quite a few years. They used
to be  annual.

At least three other warbler species, but I need to brush up on the songs,
an annual refresher course.

Red-eyed vireo

A pair of wood thrushes, possibly preparing to nest

Life is good.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County