From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2017 16:45:04 -0400
Decided to try Magee one more time today for a Connecticut. A short rainstorm on the Rt 57 link from I80 to Rt 2 produced a great rainbow so I hoped that would be a good omen.

The Boardwalk was v quiet--v few birds besides house wrens, catbirds, blackbirds, Yellows & Com YTs--what a difference a few days make in late May!

As I headed east near the Ernie Lime bench, I stopped where a photographer was aiming his camera, but high rather than low. All I could see in his field was an empid sp & a House Wren plus he didn't seem excited or volunteer what he was seeing.

I was scanning the lower tangles when suddenly, a pale gray-hooded bird w/an eye ring that could stop a clock popped its head above a tangle! Yes, a female CT! Just like the brief encounters I've had in NJ during migration, a quick f/up look w/binos was all I got before it dove deep into cover. I was not able to find it again.

Only warblers I had today besides those alr mentioned were one female Blackpoll, one Wilsons, 3 Maggies, a few Redstarts & Prothonotaries.

I did have an Osprey which was new for my Magee list. I heard YB Cuckoos & saw 1 BB Cuckoo.

Saw one Sandhill Crane in a field just before the turnoff to Magee, then I saw 2 pairs  in flight from the entry road on my way out.

Since it was so quiet & both mosquitoes & some biting no see' ums were around, I bagged it early.

Metzger only added one species, Wood Duck. Also saw an Osprey there but wondered if it was the same one I'd seen from the estuary trail at Magee.

Checked out East Pt SP but the wind was howling & a local told me most of the trails r flooded. Did see a female Scarlet Tanager.

Great first spring back in Ohio.

Peggy Wang
Hudson
Sent from my iPhone