From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2017 17:50:01 -0400
As someone who was involved in establishing Ohio-Birds back in the day,
I'd like to point out that we did not intend the site would be a venue
for commercial messages. Nor did we plan, on the other hand, that
Ohio-birds would consist entirely of reports of sightings from the field.
        Ohio-Birds has evolved to mirror the many lists in the US and
elsewhere: nearly all posts are reports of sightings from the field. Few
participants ask questions; see birding.aba.org. No one seems to be
interested in the history of occurrences, or the role of certain habitat
types or times of the year, etc. The best reporters mention the
habitats, times of day, types of insect food, etc., but all too often
the report is just species, date, and location.
        As for Time & Optics, I have a lot of respect for their knowledge of
birds, including the equipment needed to observe them at a distance; R.
Banish mentions some of the opportunities they may present for folks who
visit the Optics Fling, and they are of interest.
        All things considered, I am inclined to ask folks not to mention
commercial concerns on this list. Folks who want to mention them cannot
feel free to do so, and I think we did not intend that Ohio-birds would
be used to mention a commercial firm. I'd like to hear from folks who
think advertisers have a place on this list.
Bill Whan