From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2017 17:01:41 -0400
The migration is on in Wooster! This afternoon I spent several hours in my
own backyard, which is a standard-sized lot right in town with some nice
large trees along a ravine in the back. I have a very large oak and there
are several others across the street. These big oaks are just leafing out
and flowering and seem to be very attractive to warblers and other
migrants. I managed to see or hear 33 species this afternoon, which I think
is a record for my own backyard. The list follows:

Canada goose (several flying over)
Cooper's hawk
Chimney swift (flock of a dozen or so flying by several times)
Downy woodpecker (several)
Red-bellied woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker
Great crested flycatcher (several calling)
Blue jay
Crow
Carolina chickadee
Tufted titmouse (several)
White-breasted nuthatch (pair carrying food to nest hole)
House wren (exploring my wren box)
Carolina wren
Robin
Blue-headed vireo (3)
Red-eyed vireo
Tennessee warbler
Nashville warbler
Yellow warbler
Magnolia warbler
Yellow-rumped warbler (2)
Black-throated green warbler
Blackburnian warbler
Scarlet tanager (2 males)
Cardinal (several pairs)
Rose-breasted grosbeak (1 male, 3 females)
House finch
Am. Goldfinch
Chipping sparrow
Baltimore oriole (2 males)