From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2017 20:53:27 -0400
Many thx to Andy Avram for his post about this amazing park yesterday. I drove up this AM & spent over 8 hrs there having one of the best birding days I've ever had.

I finished the day with 83 species incl 20 warblers. Bird activity continued throughout the day which was remarkable but the numbers of warblers of certain species was also fun--many Blackburnians & tons of B&Ws. Palms & Ovenbirds in good numbers. And many even afforded decent photo opps. Can't recall that I've ever walked away from Blackburnians low enough for multiple photos...

Some were high in the canopy but many were at less neck-straining heights like the stunning Bay-breasted male & 3 Cape May Warblers in the same pine tree (by the fire pit).

I saw the Golden-winged twice, the second time on my way out which was a longer & more satisfying look than in the AM when I think it was the 2nd or 3rd Warbler I saw.

Highlights r many but close looks at a Gray-cheeked Thrush was the best look I've had of this species. Also saw a flock of about 12 Cedar Waxwings that were eating the petals of a white flowering tree--something I've never seen them do. I then found another smaller group in different area doing the same thing. Really cool to watch.

The other thing that made the day was all the friendly & helpful birders I met who shared their sightings & made trail recommendations. Thx to all of you.

Dipped on a few birds I wanted to see: Clay-colored Sp, GHO, & the Wilsons Warbler.

Added one more species when I arrived home to Hudson: an Osprey was fishing at the small pond at my apt complex & I watched it carry off its fresh dinner.

I won't post my whole list but here r the warblers. Forgive the random order over taxonomic.

Golden-winged
B&W
Blackpoll
Bay-breasted