OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2017 19:40:23 +0000
This morning from about 10:30AM to about 12:30PM, I birded the general area around The Firestone Yeagley State Wildlife Area and to the east. To anyone who came to see the recent visiting Glossy Ibis, you are aware of the vast marsh area. Usually by now and in the past, Marsh Wrens at this location are extremely vocal and numerous. There are and have been none. Why??? During my several mile walk here this morning, I recorded fifty species of birds. Some other observations of note were that, mysteriously, the two, usually and easily seen Mute Swan families, one on private land, and on state land, seem to have disappeared. The local Sandhill Crane family with their two one-third size colts, were found about a mile to the east. They could be best viewed with a scope from the top of the hill on Gamble Road, just south of Kelch Road, looking to the northwest in the far corn stubble field. Another treat was finding that there were two little white puff ball Turkey Vultures in their traditional grain bin nest site in an old barn, a mile to the northeast. A good outing, but with some disappointments, but also some highlights.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County