OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:52:26 -0400
I stopped at Walnut Woods Tall Pines area, then worked my way south to Stage's Pond, stopping at several spots along & near Walnut Creek.  Nothing terribly unusual, but it was a fairly birdy morning until the heat really settled in around 11.  Notables included:

cuckoos - despite being in good habitat, I only heard 1 Yellow-billed, near Rickenbacker Airport.  Perhaps they've moved to a cicada outbreak further west.

flycatchers - loads of Pewees, plus good #s of Acadians & Willows, at many stops.  Wood Pewees seem to be extraordinarily abundant around Columbus right now.

Vireos - nothing very unusual, but did have White-eyed at Walnut Woods and Yellow-throated at Hardisty Rd. ravine

Wood Thrushes - another birds that seems to be increased, with many in the shrubs growing under dead ash trees.  Stage's Pond had 12+, Walnut Woods had 6, and they were at many smaller woodlots too.

BrownThrasher - another bird that seems on the rebound.  Stage's Pond had 5, while singles were at many other places

Warblers - Nothing very unusual, but did have 2 N.Parulas at hardisty Ravine and a Chat at Walnut Woods

Tanagers - the only ones were at Stage's Pond, which had 2 Scarlets and 1 Summer, all singing

Vesper Sparrow - 1 was singing along Ward Rd, west of Stage's Pond

Orioles - Baltimores at many locations, but the only Orchards were singles at Walnut Woods and Hardisty Rd.Ravine.