OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:55:47 +0000
During the past three days we have had a new addition to our yard Life List, a pair of Eastern Kingbirds. Our little paradise, about an acre in size, is located in the hamlet of Damascus in southwestern Mahoning County. The property consists of hilly terrain, a spring fed tributary of The Mahoning River crossing the yard, with a secluded backyard consisting of some mature spruce trees and a variety of other tree species. From our front porch, the half mile view is a pasture with horses and cows, a pine plantation, and an agricultural field. A cell tower to the back of the property provides a view of an Osprey nest, presently with two little ones. Our list of 150 species consists of any birds we have seen from the parameter of our yard. An average day count in summer is about 32 species. Some of our more exciting yard nesters are Red-headed Woodpecker, Purple Finch, and a pair of Eastern Bluebirds on our gazebo. Some of the memorable visitors to our place have been 2 Black-billed Magpies, a Rufous Hummingbird, Virginia Rail, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Mourning Warbler, and back when, Evening Grosbeak. Sometimes you have to love life at home.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County