OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:34:45 -0400
I dodged thundershowers this morning, not always successfully, as I visited sections of this MetroPark west of Columbus and nearby areas. I stopped at Sycamore Plains, US40 Bridge, Darby Bend Lakes, and North Canoe Launch at Prairie Oaks, as well as Kuhlwein wetlands of Battelle-Darby and the Hellbranch conservation areas and Clover Cemetery wetlands. The cooler temperatures were welcome, and seemed to keep birds more active.  Unusual finds included:

Bell's Vireo - the bird that was at the western edge of Darby Bend Lakes appears to have moved to the cedar glade along the entrance road where he was singing today

Other Vireos - White-eyed & yellow-throated were both at the Sycamore Plains Trail, while Warblings were at several spots around Darby Bend Lakes

Cliff Swallows - I found several gathering mud at Darby Bend Lakes, so I checked the nearest bridge over Darby Creek (Beach Rd).  Sure enough, there's a colony of 6-8 nests there.

Brown Thrashers - birds were at several locations, much more noticeable than usual

Yellow-br.Chats - singers were at Sycamore Plains, Darby Bend lakes, and Clover Cemetery wetlands.

Other warblers - aside from abundant Common Yellowthroats, other warblers were scarce.  Yellow-throated were at most stops along the creek, while a singing Parula was at Darby Bend Lakes

Blue Grosbeak - one was singing along the bikepath south of the Kuhlwein wetland parking area, a spot where they've nested in past years

Orioles - Baltimores were at many locations, but also had Orchards in many spots, including Clover Cemetery wetlands, Sycamore Plains, and Darby Bend Lakes

Meadowlarks - surprisingly common, with birds in many grassland areas; 4 were in the prairie at the entrance to Sycamore Plains trailhead.