OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2017 09:24:08 -0400
An article appeared a couple of days ago with a more accurate map of the
North American distribution of this extinct bird:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.3135/full
It shows a presumably more accurate distribution in Ohio (see Fig 1).
        The OSU Museum in Columbus has seven specimens of this species: three
are documented as from Florida, and four have no data as to location.
There are probably more specimens in Ohio museums--certainly in Toledo,
Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc.--but as far as I know these museums do not
make data on their specimen collections publicly available on the
internet; you have to ask. Smaller museums probably have specimens, too,
though securing their documentation, if any, is at times difficult.
There at doubtless Ohio specimens in some of the great national museums,
too; these museums usually offer on-line data on their bird collections.
        A dogged search in museums might offer much more information on the
distribution of this species in Ohio. The authors of this article may
offer help, but perseverance is required. The Ohio presence of this
species needs some clarification, and I offer this as a project for an
Ohio researcher.
--Bill Whan