OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
James Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:46:02 -0400
An exciting night last night at the heron rookery! I found two first-year Black-crowned Night-Herons on the island, along with one adult. Based on the clumsy, hopping flights I witnessed, these bird were born on the island and, based on my correspondence with Bill Whan, might be a first confirmed BCNH nest for Franklin County.

I also counted at least four Great Egret nests, and close to 10 Great Blue Heron nests. Double-crested Cormorants were present in numbers around 200 birds with multiple nests. Interestingly, I saw a single Herring Gull pushing gravel around at the top edge of a large boulder. This is exactly the type of place that Herring Gulls nested on this island before, so it's possible that they're planning another attempt.

If you want to see the rookery yourself, the address for Shrum Mound is:

3141 McKinley Ave, Columbus, OH 43204

You can climb to the top of the mound with a scope for easy viewing. A good reason to get out birding for those suffering the "summer doldrums!"

James Muller