OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2017 07:48:57 -0400
Hello!

I was just wondering how many folks are hearing Eastern Whip-poor-wills in Ohio and if they are being reported much.  Personally, I have only heard them once and that was during the 2015 survey that I did with Ben Morrison and Kent Miller in Noble County.  I have tried in Carroll County without success and also this year in Tuscarawas County without success.

I guess part of what I am asking is whether or not folks who have been paying attention to this species over the years are noticing a decrease in hearing Whips at night, or if they are very localized and I just have not hit the right spots yet.  Do people find that it is better just after sunset, throughout the night, or in the early morning before sunrise? Finally, are folks out there hearing them, but not reporting them?

Any productive feedback is much appreciated.

Happy birding!

Jon Cefus
Carroll Co.