OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:23:45 -0400
Last week Bob Lane gave us an update of the 20+ Osprey nests around Berlin
Lake as well as a Cliff Swallow update.  Today I am sharing similar
information for Geauga County.

In 2016 we had 8 nests with chicks throughout the county, all on
communication towers.  So far this year there are 10 active nests but,
because the chicks are so small right now, I can only confirm chicks in 6 of
them.  One nest has 2 chicks and the rest I saw only one.

Nine towers are within 1 mile of a decent size lake or the Upper Cuyahoga
river.  The 10th is just 2 miles from East Branch Reservoir.

Regarding Cliff Swallows, I visited the only bridge I am aware of (north end
of E. Branch Reservoir) and counted 156 mud nests with 52 confirmed to have
chicks (either saw a chick in the opening or watched an adult enter).  I'm
sure more are successful but my low count for eBird was 100 individuals.
Can't prove it but I suspect between 150 and 200 is more likely.

I will try to check out more bridges in the coming weeks.  If you know of
any please let me know.  Again, this is only for Geauga County.

All this data has been entered in eBird.  You've heard me on my soapbox
before - if you haven't started using eBird I would encourage you to do so.
Selfishly, it keeps track of your lifelist, but the data it contains is so
"rich" for many, many people.  Please consider joining and using if you have
not done so.  It is free.

Matt Valencic

Geauga County

"It is in giving that we receive."