OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2017 10:21:05 -0400
​Hi,

It is probably worth reminding those in NE Ohio that Dark-eyed Junco is now
a common nesting species in its breeding range. Nesting habitat is not
restricted to Hemlock ravines and never really was. Kirtland called them
common nesters in the Beech forests east of Cleveland.  The hemlock ravine
notion seems to be the result of speculation by Williams in the first
edition of Birds of the Cleveland Region when nesting was at its nadir in
the mid 20th century.

Contemporary observation indicates they may nest anywhere on the glaciated
Allegheny Plateau, and habituate to new circumstances easily.  For instance
in central and southern Geauga county they are often reported nesting in
hanging planters.

If you are on the higher elevations in Lake, Geauga, eastern Cuyahoga,
Northern Summit, Portage and Ashtabula counties, you have a good chance of
finding nesting Juncos in habitats with forests, good quality running water
and a healthy herbaceous ground cover layer.

Haans