OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:42:52 -0400
We visited some of the main areas of Clear Creek MetroPark (south of Lancaster) yesterday morning, and found about what you might expect for early summer.  We hiked around the Fern Trail, Hemlock Trail, and the Creekside Trail near Starner Road.  Warbler numbers seemed about average, and we had good diversity of thrushes and vireos.  Included in the totals were:

flycatchers - lots of Acadians, fewer Willows, Phoebes, and Great Cresteds

vireos - Red-eyed common, but also had White-eyed, Blue-headed (Starner Rd), & Warbling

thrushes - Wood Thrushes common in shaded areas of Fern & Hemlock Trails.  One Hermit Thrush was still singing at the far end of the Hemlock Tr, and 2 Veeries were along the Creekside Trail west of the Starner parking lot

warblers - Hoodeds common; also had Yellow, Yellow-throated, Worm-eating, N.Parula, Cerulean (3 along slope of Fern Tr), Black-thr.Green (only 3), Black&White, Redstarts, Ovenbirds (6-8), Kentuckies, La.Waterthrushes, ComYellowthroat

tanagers - Scarlets were regular in the forest away from the creek, but couldn't find any Summers

grosbeaks,Buntings - only 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeakss, but had 5-6 Indigo Buntings