OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2017

From:
Mary Huey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Huey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2017 01:52:09 +0000
I spent a couple hours wandering through Gully Brook Park in Willoughby today -- being just 3/4 mile from my house, I'm there at least once a week.  Even though it's a small park, there is plenty to interest one.
Today was extra good because I saw all six woodpeckers -- red-headed (coming and going from an active nest which I've been watching since June 26), red-bellied, pileated (with a fledgling), hairy (with a fledgling), downy, and flicker!  In addition to all the usual suspects, I heard 2 wood thrush, rose-breasted grosbeak, and at least 4 each of indigo bunting and red-eyed vireo; found a red-shouldered hawk loafing deep in the woods, heard one or two Barred Owls calling around 4:30 p.m. (for the third time in the past two weeks), and great crested flycatcher.  It's an easy park to walk and doing it slowly usually scores 20 to 30 species.  I've seen an odd male scarlet tanager there twice -- mottled red and yellow with black wings -- still trying to get a picture, so if you go there, take your camera and keep on the look out for him!
There is a tiny wet area at the center of the park that has been yielding an interesting variety of dragonflies recently -- probably nothing uncommon but they are pretty easy to see because the area is so small.  Today there were blue dashers, a ruby meadowhawk, a 12-spotted skimmer and quite a few common whitetails and last week we found one of the spreadwings and a least skipper butterfly.
Also keep your eye out for a magnificent 8-point buck with velvet covered antlers -- I'm not a deer fan, but he's a healthy good looking animal.
Mary HueyWilloughby