OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2017

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:42:16 -0400
Hi Elayna,

I have been doing a kestrel project around the state from a grant I received last year and I have a 2nd nesting at Ottawa Boss Unit nest box. This is not uncommon to have a second nesting. They fledged 5 young in June and she laid 2 more eggs June 30 and is incubating now.  We are putting up a 2nd nestbox at Ottawa at the Adam Grimm prairie area in the next week or so.  I have 20 boxes up with my new ladder-less design. Mike and Dawn Zook are the thrilled monitors at Ottawa.  Their text with a 2nd nesting rattled my phone.  What a thrill to work with AMKE and have success.

Be careful not to bother the female too much while she is incubating.  And I imagine the areas that had cicadas had pretty full clutches of young in their nestboxes this season.

I have boxes on 14 foot Troyer Purple Martin poles with a winch system to raise and safely lower the cedar kestrel boxes. I use a quick release baffle. Many boxes are in local Franklin County Metro Parks and a few are placed around the state to learn what the birds will do. I do use locks so the boxes are not lowered by curious non-monitors.

Dick Tuttle has done a lot of work for over 22 years with kestrels. His boxes are placed on the back of interstate signs. View his work on the Columbus Audubon conservation page. He has several nice articles. The first successful kestrel nest fledged young in 1995, and after 22 successful seasons, 1,029 young falcons have entered the skies over Delaware County.  My design is without ladders with safety for the monitors and of course for the birds. Dick is my mentor and many of us have learned much about conservation from him.  I did cc: him so you can email him.

Visit The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho for excellent information on raptor conservation. This has been a great source of information and their work is amazing.  I have been working with them and Cornell Nestwatch for a few years getting ready for the kestrel project.  http://peregrinefund.org/explore-raptors-species/American_Kestrel

I will let you know how the numbers are this season.  It is still early and eggs are still being laid and are hatching.

Best,
Darlene Sillick
Powell, Ohio