OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2017 12:20:54 -0400
Important specimens of bird species are properly housed in institutional
museums. For example, I have spent many hours looking for Ohio specimens
of whooping cranes--once common as migrants in Ohio--that eventually
produced proof of their presence in the state. I have also heard about
unexamined collections of birds accumulated over a hundred years ago
that may contain very interesting specimens. A surprising number of
these may have important data, or even be unique Ohio specimens.
        Many years ago, bird fanciers accumulated numbers of prepared specimens
of various species. Most were eventually discarded by their owners. Most
were also of negligible interest, but some might have had great interest
for ornithologists. Unusual species were always of interest, but
analysis of common species from years gone by can be of considerable
interest. The Ohio list is missing a couple of species whose specimens
are missing. Anyway, if you know of any old bird specimens, consider
donating them to an established museum!
Bill Whan
Columbus