OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:37:43 -0400
Species counts for birds depend on luck after we learn the reliable
locals. The OBRC Checklist had 420 species for Ohio in 2008. Since then
Ohio's number has grown to 432 (even taking into account the expulsion
of the Thayer's Gull) based on the Ohio Ornithological Society
determinations, which will soon be made public. It would be interesting
to know what Ohio's list REALLY is--not just unseen or unreported
species recently, but also boreal birds here doing the Ice Age, not to
mention birds not seen or reported since then. Those data are lost to
us, but who knows, we may have bananaquits.
--Bill Whan