OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2017 16:53:48 -0400
I visited a few spots on the Darby Plains, starting at Kuhlwein wetland, where the Blue Grosbeak continues to hang out.  I found him singing about 200 yards south of Kuhlwein Rd, between the trail and the road.  North of Kuhlwein the wetland proper held little unusual, but the overnight rain had left puddles in the fields of Darby Dan Farms, collecting 80+ Killdeer and 5 Semipalmated Sandpipers.  Try as I might, I couldn't find any other shorebirds here, but I was stimulated to search for other sky ponds west of Big Darby Creek.

I spent much of the rest of the morning alternating between cruising farm roads and hitting small wooded areas along Little Darby Creek (West Jefferson County Park, Little Darby Road, Little Darby Preserve).  I could only rustle up a few more Killdeer on the shorebird front, as most of the fields were tall with corn or soybeans.  Landbirds were equally uninspired, with few singing residents and virtually no early migrants, other than a few scattered groups of Purple Martins.