OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2017 06:20:27 -0400
 I stopped at New Galena (on Alum Creek Lake) and Sharon Woods (3 miles south along Alum Creek) looking for early migrants, with some success.  New Galena had good #s of expected early migrants, including
10+ Chimney Swifts
4-5 E.Kingbirds
5+ Wood Pewees
6 Warbling Vireos, plus a Yellow-throated & Red-eyed
10+ Gnatcatchers
5-6 Baltimore orioles

Sharon Woods was much quieter, with smaller numbers of all these species.  The concentrating power of the small peninsula at New Galena was very apparent.  The lack of Yellow Warblers in this list was a bit surprising, since they're regular at both sites.

With Chimney Swifts showing small flocks in the daytime, I stopped in nearby downtown Westerville this evening looking for migrant roosts, and was rewarded with a flock of 600 birds swirling down into a chimney in the old part of downtown.