OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2017 12:08:44 -0400
While many of us with birding inclinations have turned our focus to early
migration (shorebirds and others,) the vesper chorus at dusk last night
raised a contemplative smile about the subtle charm of our property here on
Flint Ridge. Being August, the buzz of insects fills the air. But
interspersed are phrases of song from our bird residents, reminding me that
many species find this place accommodating. Given the late-ish date I found
these interesting.

Common yellowthroat, wood thrush, and pewee were particularly noteworthy
just after sunset, along with the expected song sparrow, field sparrow,
cardinal and robin, as Jane and I sat on the bench at the top of our
pasture hill, watching the gathering pinks and purples.

Life is good.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County