OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:34:45 +0000
I birded at Conneaut harbor from 7:20 AM to 1:15 PM today.  There was a good amount of movement in the morning.  The 2 gates were open until 11:00 AM when the toll gate became operational.  I bought a season pass for $25, it seems like a good investment if you want to go out for lunch or refreshments after the toll gate closes.  Birds encountered included: 3 wood ducks, 4 blue-winged teal (first migrants of the season for me), double-crested cormorants, least bittern, bald eagles, Am. avocet ( molting ad. female, present the whole time), 4 semipalmated plovers (my first juv.), 4 ad. sanderlings, 11 least sandpipers (all juvs.), 8 semipalmated sandpipers (ads. and juvs.), 7 juv. short-billed dowitchers, 2 ad. lesser yellowlegs, lesser black-backed gull (second-year), Caspian tern, Forster's tern, belted kingfisher, purple martins, 10 cliff swallows, and gray catbird.  Craig Holt, Lowellville, Mahoning Co.