OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2017 21:23:56 -0400
Hi,

Keep in mind who pays the bills for the Division of Wildlife.  It is
Hunters and Fisherpeople.  Unless they buy a Wildlife legacy stamp, check
off on their state tax return, or have a Wildlife license plate, birders
make zero financial contribution.  Yet they use wildlife areas
extensively.  If you want the division to pay more attention to the
binocular crowd, rather than the hook and bullet community, why not suggest
a means for birders to also make a financial contribution?  An annual pass
to use state wildlife areas might be a way?  Maybe if the division charged
a daily entry fee at Magee Marsh it would raise a tiny fraction of the
revenue that hunting and fishing licenses, plus duck stamps, generate to
preserve and maintain wildlife areas?

Ohio is fairly unique in that we have free access to all of these areas, as
well as state parks and metroparks.  In many other states birders often
have to pay to enter birding areas owned by the state or local park system.

Preserving bird and birding habitat happens by making a financial
contribution to the entities that actually own and manage the land.

Keep that in mind when you fill out the survey

Haans