OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2017 17:41:37 +0000
I birded at Conneaut harbor from 7:00 to 11:00 AM today.  The D-Day re-enactment activities have already started, I wasn't expecting that until tomorrow.  Four tanks were at the beginning of the spit, blasting away with blank gunfire every so often.  Needless to say, that put a crimp on the birding.  Also, an amphibious military vehicle drove right across the end of the spit, scattering the gull roost.  The main gate was closed today, so there were only a few people visiting the spit on foot.  I was surprised they let anyone out there - the next two days the spit will be off-limits.  Despite the disturbances, I found some good birds: great egret, 18 bald eagles, 2 black-bellied plovers, 2 semipalmated plovers, 4 least sandpipers, Baird's sandpiper, 3 semipalmated sandpipers, greater yellowlegs, lesser yellowlegs, 7 Caspian terns, and purple martin.  All the migrant shorebirds except the black-bellied plovers were juveniles today.  On the way home, I saw an Am.kestrel along SR 7 in Andover Twp.  Craig Holt, Lowellville, Mahoning Co.