OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 09:28:05 -0400
I had just finished reading the material from Canada that Patrick
summarizes below. As I think of my Canadian ancestors it seems overall
they have a more mindful and polite attitude about birding--and some
other things--than we do in the USA. All too often it seems Americans,
upon hearing that a remote site is set aside for migrant shorebirds,
will eagerly head that way if they had fishing gear, a beach buggy, or a
yen to penetrate an 'unspoiled' off-limits site. If you look at those
photos from Canada, you can find images of thousands of birds crowding
for food: do they inspire readers to approach too close to get views,
and images that hundreds of other photographers have already taken (and
"taking" is the right verb)? Hats off to the Canucks!
Bill Whan