OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:38:14 -0400
I was in Michigan the last two weeks, so wanted to see how things had
changed at the peat pits on Wilderness Rd. in Wayne Co. Before I left, no
pumping of the pond had been done by the peat company there. I was out
there this morning from 8:15 to 9:45am. That is the best time to be there
because it is cooler and because the light is behind you when looking west
across the ponds. I was pleased to see that active pumping was going on and
the large pond had been about 2/3 drained from what it was 2 wks ago. Good
shorebird habitat is there now and it should continue to improve in the
next 2 wks.

Aside from the regular bird species that can be seen there, I had 12
species of shorebirds, plus one Bonaparte's gull and four Caspian terns.
Shorebird species and best estimates of the numbers present are:

Black-bellied plover - 1 in partial moult
Killdeer - 100+
Semipalmated plover - 15
Greater yellowlegs - 1
Lesser yellowlegs - 18