OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2017 21:54:06 +0000
This morning, Wednesday, I did a Bald Eagle count around The Conneaut Harbor Area from about 7:30AM to about 7:50AM. I recorded forty-nine eagles, nine adults and forty juveniles. I would consider this a good average, amazing number, for this time of year at this location. On an exciting note, the origin of one of the juvenile eagles has been determined, and became a story, "Carolina Eagle Makes A Home In Conneaut", in the August 20th edition of the Ashtabula Star Beacon newspaper. The following is an excerpt of the article.

A Bald Eagle hatched at a North Carolina Nature Center last year has found a home in Conneaut, officials said. Tracking equipment attached to the bird, "Freedom," shows the eagle has settled along the city's Lake Erie shore, said Michele Miller Houck, of the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville, North Carolina. "We're excited he's up there." Freedom has enjoyed his, well, freedom since he was released to the wild in June 2016. He has been as far north as Montreal and returned to North Carolina for a time before heading to Conneaut, where he has remained most of the summer. Young eagles are typically wanderers, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife. Youngsters are migratory, while adults tend to be "year-round residents," according to the ODNR website. There's generally a migratory path they stick to, Houck said. "At fall he may leave." Still, the area's food supply has much to recommend to a young eagle. "Lake Erie, and the rivers leading into it, are keeping this bird around," Houck said. Freedom was hatched at Dan Nichols Park in March 2016. About a month later, he was moved to The Carolina Raptor Center and placed in its "hacking" tower, which is essentially a "big treehouse in the woods." Time spent in the tower allowed Freedom to build up his flight muscles. After 52 days as a tower resident, Freedom took wing forever on June 24, 2016. Freedom is wearing a tracking device about half the size of a business card. The public can check his whereabouts at www.movebank.org<http://www.movebank.org> or at the Raptor Center's website, www.carolina<http://www.carolina>raptorcenter.org/learn/eagle-tracking/. Bird buffs may find it difficult to spot Freedom. Bald Eagles don't fully sport their distinctive white feathers until they're about five years old, Houck said. At just 18 months of age, Freedom will be clad in brown feathers. Ohio has seen a big growth in its eagle population, according to the ODNR. Four breeding pairs in 1979 have grown to an estimated 207 pairs in 2016, experts said. Eagles are found in every Ohio county along Lake Erie, as well as many inland lakes.

A thanks goes out to Ashtabula County birder Bob Krajeski, for forwarding me this information.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County

Movebank<http://www.movebank.org/>
www.movebank.org
Welcome to Movebank! Movebank is a free, online database of animal tracking data hosted by the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology. We help animal tracking ...