OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2017

From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:19:49 -0400
Stilt Sandpiper & Baird's Sandpiper continue for the third day on the 'mud'
seen to the left of the boat ramp.  The Stilt is usually alone, foraging in
shallow water and the Baird's has been staying with a small group of
Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers, mostly out of the water but has been
seen in the water as well.  Very easy to compare in overall size, leg color,
plumage and bill length.  See my  eBird checklist from yesterday for
pictures (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38785982).  They don't seem
bothered by the boat traffic on the  water.

Also try the LaDue Reservoir, Auburn Road location for shorebirds and Green
Heron's on the abundant mud flats, both sides of the road.

This is the only decent 'mud' in the county right now for shorebirds.  If
you know of other locations, please share with the LIST.

Matt Valencic

"It is in giving that we receive."