OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2017 15:57:39 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip around this downtown MetroPark this morning found
a rapidly heating day and few migrants.  Water level in the Scioto River
was very low, attracting in fair numbers of herons and killdeer.  Shore
riparian woods had lots of residents, but cedar waxwings were the only
migrant in numbers.  I also made stops at Long St. dam and Berliner Park
outside the trip and found similar birds to Scioto Audubon, but with a
boost in raptors.  Highlights included:

Herons,Egrets - Great Egrets were at every stop, topped by 6 off the boat
ramp at Scioto

Waterfowl - no early migrants, but we did have Wood Ducks in a few spots.

Raptors - Cooper's Hawks were at Long St. and Berliner, while Berliner had
an immature Bald Eagle perched in a snag along the river.

Shorebirds - river mudflats attracted 40-50 Killdeer, and Scioto Audubon
also had a Solitary Sandpiper.

Flycatchers - nothing except a Phoebe at Berliner

Swallows - only 2 Rough-wings were at Scioto Audubon

Vireos - not a one

Thrushes - a few Swainson's were scattered between all 3 sites, nowhere
common.

Mimids - Catbirds were common, and Scioto Audubon had 2 Brown Thrashers.

Cedar Waxwings - many were feeding on bugs and hackberries along the river
at each stop.  Scioto Audubon had 50+.

Warblers - Scioto Audubon had 2 late Yellow Warblers around the boat ramp,
giving us good looks.  This park also had a handful of Redstarts,
Nashvilles, and Magnolias.  Berliner had only a single Black-thr.Green and
Bay-breasted.

Buntings,Grosbeaks - no buntings, but a Rose-br.Grosbeak was at Long St.
dam.