OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Nancy Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2017 00:48:14 +0000
Despite the cool temperatures, overcast skies and slight sprinkles, the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve had some good species today, Sunday, Sept. 3, from 8:15 to 11:30 AM. It will, no doubt get better as weather systems bring in birds.  If you go on Labor Day, watch the traffic from the Cleveland Air Show. Here is the list I had from today:

Canada Goose    2

Mallard      5

Double -crested Cormorant  19

Great Blue Heron   3

Cooper's Hawk     1

Ring-billed Gull     12

Herring Gull    6

Mourning Dove    2

Chimney Swift    15

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Downy Woodpecker   3

Northern Flicker   8

Eastern Wood-Pewee   3

Least Flycatcher  1

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher   1

Eastern Phoebe   1

Great Crested Flycatcher  1   Unusual plumage in that it had patches of white feathers on the belly and the patches of light colored feathers on the wings were almost a pale yellow, but the rest of the bird appeared to have normal colored plumage. Keep an eye out for it.

Warbling Vireo     4

Red-eyed Vireo    2

Swallow sp.  Too far away to tell

Black-capped Chickadee  5

Carolina Wren   1

Swainson's Thrush  1

American Robin   10

Gray Catbird    18  (they were everywhere)

Cedar Waxwing    5

Black and White Warbler   1

Tennessee Warbler    4

Common Yellowthroat     7