OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2017 18:13:28 -0400
Beautiful day to be out and about if a bit windy which might have kept the bird activity a bit low but I still saw some good birds.

Best was a little flurry of warblers just as I arrived around noon at Metzger Marsh. I suddenly found myself surrounded by a small mixed flock. I probably missed some as they moved thru really fast. Maybe they had just come across the Lake? but they barely stopped to find a few insects, chased each other a bit, then they just vanished in the course of about 5 minutes!

Black-throated Blue (at least 3 males)
Orange-crowned
Black-throated Green
Black & White
Blackpoll
Bay-breasted
Several R-C Kinglets & White-throated Sparrows

Earlier in the AM, the only warblers I could dig out were Yellow-rumped, Palm, Nashville, Blackpoll & Bay-breasted. Then I picked up an Ovenbird at the Observatory HQ's feeders for a 10 warbler day.

That feeder/water feature hosted a rather unusual grouping of birds in the short time I was there:
Ovenbird (as mentioned; not sure I've ever seen an Ovenbird at a feeder altho it was by the dripper a lot)
Am Woodcock
Bobwhite (presumably a released/uncountable bird but v nice to see so close & so well! Not sure I've ever seen a Bobwhite that well.)
Gray-cheeked Thrush (2)
R-T HBs were coming into the feeders also along w/the more usual suspects of Grackles, R-W BBs, Robins, Mourning Dove & House Sparrows.

Other Magee highlights: White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows, Tundra Swans incl a pair with 2 nearly-grown but still gray cygnets, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-billed Cuckoo. R-C Kinglets were abundant.

A few ducks but the only ones close enough to ID were Mallards & a few Pintails.

Numerous Great Blues & Great Egrets. At least one Adult Bald Eagle & an imm plus one Osprey, a couple Red-taileds, and one accipiter, prob a Sharpie as it had a v quick wingbeat. Lots of Tree Swallows flying low by the road to the Boardwalk.

Peggy Wang
Hudson