OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2017 20:10:22 -0400
Greetings!

Great day today!

The Findlay Long-tailed Jaeger actually stayed around long enough for a
blue sky day.  Great flyby views given to all...even a few from Michigan
made it down.  Also it parked itself in the water almost next to the boat
ramp...so almost everyone got super views of it.

Springville Marsh was close by so I decided to walk around the boardwalk..
A bit slow...but I got there late. Best bird there were some vocalizing
Virginia Rails.  Couldn't hear much else due to increasing winds.

Lawrence Woods...was Lawrence Woods. :-D  Windy conditions made birding by
ear next to impossible but a few Warblers came out to say hi.  Flycatcher's
were still vocal...and close.

Lists below.  I added two pictures of the Jaeger to my Findlay list, but I
do not know why it is not showing up on the list that I added media in my
comments.

Happy birding and God bless!

Steve J.

Findlay Reservoirs, Hancock, Ohio, US
Sep 4, 2017 7:30 AM - 11:38 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Clear skies and typical windy conditions on top of reservoirs.
16 species

Canada Goose  6
Mallard  4
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  1
Bald Eagle  3
Killdeer  16
Stilt Sandpiper  1     Flyover
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Lesser Yellowlegs  6
Long-tailed Jaeger  1     immature Jaeger with white wingtips.  Continuing
bird.
Ring-billed Gull  50
Caspian Tern  1
Forster's Tern  4
Mourning Dove  12

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S39004997

Springville Marsh State Nature Preserve, Seneca, Ohio, US
Sep 4, 2017 11:53 AM - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.93 mile(s)
15 species

Wood Duck  3
Turkey Vulture  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Virginia Rail  3
Mourning Dove  2
Chimney Swift  10
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  4
House Wren  1
Gray Catbird  7
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  10
American Goldfinch  15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38996560

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
Sep 4, 2017 2:00 PM - 3:43 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.19 mile(s)
17 species