OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2017 09:26:42 -0400
Yesterday morning we still had a female or immature hummingbird visiting
one of our feeders here on Flint Ridge Rd. in western Muskingum County.
They have been few and far between the last few days, but still around.

Jane and I decided to take a hike through someone else's patch of forest
yesterday afternoon. So we headed over to Belmont County for a walk through
Dysart Woods, a laboratory forest for Ohio University. Watching birds was
not our focus, although I saw a few otherwise unidentified warblers
flitting about, along with expected woodpecker and towhee calls I hear
daily at home. The forest at Dysart Woods is magnificent, with many very
large, old oaks, allowed to assume a fundamental state, with fallen giants
allowed to rot naturally, cut only to clear the trail.

On our way home, driving back on I-70, at 6:15 PM, we traversed the Mile
162 - Mile 161 section (a few miles east of Zanesville,) I estimated 70
nighthawks swooping around in the gathering evening. Given the limited time
and narrow band of my observation (I was driving on the freeway) there
could have been many more.

It made me smile.

Bob Evans
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County