OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:45:52 -0400
I made a quick foray to several areas along these 2 creeks west of Columbus
looking for migrant fallout.  I stopped at several areas in Prairie Oaks
MetroPark along Big Darby -- Beaver Pond, Darby Bend Lakes, Sycamore Plains
-- then two areas along the more isolated Little Darby Creek -- West
Jefferson Community Park and the Little Darby Preserve.  No place had a
major fallout, but every spot had some migrants.  Included in the list were:

Shorebirds - aside from the expected flock of Killdeer, Darby Bend lakes
also had a Wilson's Snipe and a Pectoral Sandpiper.

Flycatchers - nothing unusual, with Pewees most widespread, but alos had
Phoebe, Willow, and Acadian

Vireos - 2 White-eyed at Sycamore Plains, along with a Yellow-throated,
while Darby Bend Lakes still had a singing Warbling (warbling Warbling?)

Swallows - surprisingly few, with a small cluster of 10 Rough-wings at
Darby Bend lakes the high

Thrushes - Swainson's were probably the most common migrant, being present
at every stop; Darby Bend Lakes had 7-8

Mimids - Brown Thrashers were at every stop in Prarie aks, while a
Mockingbird was along the entrance road to Sycamore Plains

Warblers - no big numbers, but OK diversity.  Little Darby Preserve had the
most, with 8 species; Beaver Lake followed with 5.  List included
Tennessee, Nashville, Magnolias, AmRedstart, Black&White, Blackburnian,
Blackpolls, Bay-br., Black-thr.Blue, Black-thr.Green