From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2018 22:28:49 +0000
 Today I monitored parts of Area N and along Little Walnut Creek. Sloshing through the back areas of Area N made the journey by the horses in the Preakness Stakes Saturday look easy. The water hides downed trees and the mud seemed to be trying to suck off my boots. But the effort was rewarded as I located 14 Prothonotary Warbler nest sites. The Prothonotaries are getting down to serious business as I observed females bringing nest materials to their nest box or natural cavity. I also noted what appeared to be males bringing food to the nest box and poking his head in and quickly leave. My assumption is that the female was inside. Many females should be laying their eggs, one a day, until the clutch is complete. Early arrivals may have begun incubation already. Future observations should provide a clearer picture. Later I checked some of the habitat along Little Walnut Creek. I located an additional 6 males there.
Some other species observed in the back reaches of Area n included Northern Parulas, Yellow-throated Warblers, Acadian Flycatchers, Spotted Sandpiper, a Barred Owl and a Hooded Merganser hen.
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature Preserve