From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 17:13:51 +0000
After spending another winter in Florida, and coming home to the possibility of finding 3 bird species that we haven't seen in a number of years, because they are normally long gone when we return, this was an inspiration to do a long day trip. We departed our home in eastern Mahoning County yesterday, Monday, about 9AM. Three hours later we arrived at the previously described Snowy Owl site on Hellwig Road in Ottawa County. Five minutes later we checked off #1, finding it sitting on a log pile on the south side of the road. The trek then continued on to Lucas County and Oak Openings. At The Lodge Area we easily found our #2, 16 Red Crossbills in the pines. While passing thru the park we picked up 3 Lark Sparrows as a bonus. Next, being in the Irwin Prairie area, we decided to take a chance on the recently reported Yellow Rail site. About 4PM we got lucky, after a short wait, we were treated to two short classic "tic-tic-tic-tic" calls, one bird or two? On the return toward home, we stopped for a one hour visit at the Metzger Marsh woodlot about 6PM. Lots of warblers and thrushes! On our last leg of the birding, back in Ottawa County, we found #3, a gorgeous Rough-legged Hawk, perched in the top of a tree on the east side of Stange Road. After enjoying time with the hawk, now began the three hour journey back home, arriving about 11PM. 389 rewarding miles later, concluded the end of another great birding adventure.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County, Ohio