From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2018 14:31:42 +0000
I spent 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM in Ashtabula Co. yesterday, hitting several places.  I started at the SR 193/Stollaker Rd. area of Denmark Twp.  Seen there were: a hunting female n. harrier (a nester in this area), great views of 2 upland sandpipers (on the ground, perched on poles, and in flight - heard flight call and song), spotted sandpiper, Am. kestrel, 2 horned larks, savannah sparrow, and bobolinks.  From there I went to Conneaut harbor.  It was cold there with the wind blowing off the lake.  At least the first gate was open, so I was able to drive out to the toll gate and park.  I talked to the man running the infamous grooming tractor there, he said the toll gate won't be open until they can fill the 2 spots where the sand road on the spit has been washed out by the high water.  You can easily walk through these spots, so the spit is still quite birdable.  Seen there were: common merganser, 6 bald eagles, 3 dunlin, greater yellowlegs, a good count of 125 Caspian terns, and 4 common terns.  I headed south from there, and saw an Am. kestrel in Richmond Twp.  My next stop was in Dorset Twp., at and around Dorset WA.  Found there were wild turkey, a calling barred owl, Am. kestrel, hooded warbler, Am. redstart, white-crowned sparrow, e. towhees, scarlet tanager, and rose-breasted grosbeak.  My last stop of the day was at the Grand River Lowlands Wetland, just west of the village of Orwell.  This is a very productive wetlands, and I saw trumpeter swan, 4 blue-winged teal, a hen hooded merganser w/2 nearly full-grown young, sora, least sandpiper, 3 solitary sandpipers, lesser yellowlegs, willow flycatcher, warbling vireo, n. rough-winged swallows, tree swallows, 40 barn swallows, 3 yellow-rumped warblers, 2 swamp sparrows, scarlet tanager, and rose-breasted grosbeak.  From there I headed home, and saw an osprey in Williamsfield to round out the day.  Craig Holt, Lowellville