From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2018 23:25:59 -0400
Greetings!

Wow what a loooong day.  I took off from work last night, and headed
straight Tranquility Nature Area over In Adams County to get a lifer
Chuck-will's Widow...and I got there JUST in time to get the final 5.30am
performance.  I could never get a eye on one, but the whole valley was
woken up by Whips and Chucks...and about 20 other morning performers. My
thanks to all the people who emailed me about where to find a Chuck-will's
Widow.  I almost wish I lived in Adams County...I wouldn't need an alarm
clock. :-D

Since that was so quick, I decided to also get the Western Kingbird (a
state lifer) over at the OSU Ag center over on Sawmill Rd in Columbus...On
the way over I realized that the King Rail and Red-necked Phalarope (Year
bird) were just a couple of counties away.  So I decided to do a bird
trifecta: Lifer, state, year.

I got crazy views of the King Rail while I was searching for the
Phalarope....I've never actually seen a King Rail just out feeding in the
open...so I had to get some footage.:

https://youtu.be/qmHvcCPBjA8

That video was taken on a little Nikon P900 point and shoot....if you don't
want to go all DSLR...look into it. ;-)

EVENTUALLY, I am going to get my Spring '18 pictures put up on my
webpage...there is just too many great birds out there to focus on all the
photos. :-D

A little wrap up for Lawrence Woods.  Chats are everywhere in the Prairie
I can hear them on the boardwalk in three different places. A lot of
Warblers made their presence know this year...including Waterthrushes, as
well as a Mourning, and Connecticut Warblers. I'm still getting Lincoln
Sparrows around the front of the boardwalk.  The only thing that I haven't
seen this year is a Prothonotary Warbler...one was seen earlier by someone
else, but it hasn't stuck around.  Bobolinks are starting to sing out in
the prairie. Also had some Henslows in the prairie.

Well...time to get some sleep...all the coffee and tea is wearing off. :-D

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J