HUMANRIGHTS Archives

February 2020

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2020 06:01:55 +0100
This is a truly thought-provoking analysis, Rodney. It makes me think
of this French film I have recently seen ("Les Misérables" by Ladj
Ly): three police officers patrol the streets of a poor and largely
Black neighbourhood, and one of them happens to be Black. But he only
rarely opposes the actions and words of his white superior, even when
the latter does and says completely unacceptable things. In fact, the
Black policeman is usually passive when his superior abuses his power
and violates people's rights.

At the same time, the three police officers have to deal with a
terrible conundrum: they are trying to do their job in a neighbourhood
which is plagued by drug abuse etc. and where some boys openly treat
them with utter contempt.

I would say that Ladj Ly, who grew up in the same neighbourhood and
also co-wrote the script of this film, has shown in a very compelling
way that simply diversifying the police force is not enough to solve
the problem of police violence and abuses in such neighbourhoods, and
- simultaneously - that society puts too much pressure on police
officers who are unable to cope with the complex problems engendered
by poverty, systemic racism and the dehumanizing environment of
neglected tower block estates.

Joanna