HUMANRIGHTS Archives

May 2020

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2020 18:56:51 +0200
Jerome,

I wonder if it's actually true that today's Scandinavian countries are
more communal than the US. One thing is certain: they are much more
equal societies with a much better-developed welfare state and - as
you have pointed out - their populations are healthier than the
American one.

At the same time, it seems that many Swedes lead quite isolated lives
and this may largely explain why the number of deaths from Covid-19 in
Sweden is not much higher despite the lack of a lockdown. The
percentage of people who live on their own is allegedly the highest in
the world in Sweden - 52% of households in Sweden were single-person
households in 2017
(http://www.euronews.com/2017/09/05/people-living-alone-europe-solo-living).
And it seems that many of these people have no contact with their
family members and at the best only very superficial contact with
neighbours etc.

A few days ago I watched the 2015 documentary "The Swedish Theory of
Love" by Erik Gandini which addresses the problem of the extreme
social isolation of some Swedes. In the docu, we discover the stories
of two men who were living alone when they died. One of them had
accumulated a huge sum of money on his bank accounts, but had not been
in touch with his only child (his daughter) for many years and had no
friends. Another man was found dead in his apartment only when the
neighbours had noticed an unpleasant smell; he took his own life. And
again, he did not stay in touch with any family members and had no
friends.

The docu also suggested that many Swedish women actually prefer to use
sperm donors instead of getting involved in a relationship. Of course,
this is only a documentary and the image of Sweden it depicts may be
distorted. However, the very high percentage of Swedes who now live on
their own is an undeniable fact - and probably at least some of them
don't socialize with others or only to a very limited extent.

Joanna