OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2023

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:27:34 -0500
Striking out on waterfowl. I still need GW Teal, both Scaup, Black Duck, etc.
Scoters for Hamilton and Butler - yes, I am dreaming here! Lake Barber was slow.
36 Hooded Mergs on the eastern pond was nice.

Zipped on over to Hawley Rd. - Clermont. A huge number of Longspurs were there this
Morning. Me and a couple other birders couldn’t refind. The snow is melting
Quickly also - making it harder. I already have Longspur and Lark, but wanted to
See numbers. I like numbers! A killdeer would be nice too. Got my butler needs
Today. A fellow birder had Longspurs on Jones Rd.  The road I was on yesterday
Only Preble county. Sigh. The border is right there…… well, if we get snow
Tomorrow down here - and the roads are safe - off I go! I need Longspur for
My Butler big year.

Valley View preserve - Clermont - towhee! And Savannah sparrow. Both new. 85 now.
I was scanning the woods for owls. Nuttin. All the passerines I had were out in the
Brushy field and grassy field areas. What am I missing passerine wise……
Hermit thrush, winter wren, both kinglets, brown creeper, sapsucker, purple
Finch, etc. Rusty blackbird, I would love a Jan. Pine Warbler! They must winter
Down here in some areas. I actually have pine warbler for all months in NJ! Yes,
I have been monthly listing awhile now.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini