INNISBRK Archives

February 1995

INNISBRK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bric Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Innisbrook Program discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:30:23 EST
Nine months from tomorrow, and counting...

The Advisory Board met last month and has designed the 1995 CMED
Conference.  They've included in their design a 90-minute concurrent
session on Using the Internet hosted by yours truly.

If you expect to be in attendance at the conference in November, my
question to you -- some current users of Internet -- is, "What would
you like to see discussed/covered/touched-upon in the session?"

For now, we're expecting the session to be directed at people at
all experience levels.  This could be too broad an audience for a
how-to session, but may be OK for an overview of various uses of
the Internet.  Thoughts?

We can't do a lot in 90 minutes, but some of the following topics
might be of interest:

Traditional uses
    e-mail
    gopher
    archie
    ftp
    telnet
    listservs
    usenet news / net news
    world wide web

Trends & what's being done
    commercialization
    advertising
    global competition at everyone's fingertips
    distance learning
    public access
    commercial systems/providers
    public access
    information overload
    user-friendly surfing from home/office
        Browsers for world wide web
            free:  Mosaic (Macintosh & Windows), Cello, WinWeb,
                    MacWeb, Lynx, Samba, Netscape, InternetWorks
            $$$$:  Air-Mosaic, NetCruiser
        hypertext
        home pages

As you can see, this is a rather overwhelming topic.  By next
November there will be new items to add, more of us will have home
pages, more of us will be marketing via Internet, commercial program
providers will be in the picture, more educational activities will be
on-line, and a different price structure will continue to unfold.

Nearly all universities are already well-connected to the Internet
and its various facets -- it's a "competitive advantage" which is
probably a fleeting thing.  How do we tap into this resource to do
our jobs better?  Can we afford not to tap into it?

Please give me your ideas for the November session.  I look forward
to seeing you in Florida &/or surfing the Net!

Bric

Bric A. Wheeler
Director, Center for Management Development
Richard T. Farmer School of Business Administration
Miami University, 114 Laws Hall
Oxford, OH  45056-1675
    Voice:  (513) 529-2132; FAX:  (513) 529-6992;
    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]