MU-VMS Archives

March 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 13:35:17 -0500
In article <1995Mar22.074903.41998@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Kent Covert) writes:
> Actually, it's possible to get this message on any of the Gandalf classes,
> it's just more likely to happen on MIAVX1.  This message occurs when all of
> the ports available to a class are being used up.  For example, MIAVX1,
> which is a serial connection to the Alpha, has 7 lines.  That's why it
> fills up so easily.  The class MIAMIU has around 96 lines (I think).
>
> Classes V1, Phoenix, and CASNext are a little different.  Instead of being
> serial connections, these connections are made via a Telnet session.  These
> classes share a total of 64 Telnet ports.  Therefore, the message
> you received indicates that all telnet ports were being used (or there was
> another problem that I'm not aware of...does anyone in networking wish to
> comment?)
>
> An interesting aside to this, is if someone telnets to the Gandalf and then
> uses one of the Telnet classes (V1, Phoenix, etc), you're actually taking
> up 2 of the ports!

This's all interesting, but I do think their may be something wrong. I
never once got the service busy message last semester, and only received it
once this semester back in Jan. However, a few weeks ago, I noticed that I
was getting it unusually often, and this week, I have gotten it every
single time I log on. Statistically, this seems highly improbable. Earlier,
I had to wait for 11 users, but when I got on, there were only 55 users on
the vax (excuse me, Alpha), with just about everyone only running one process
(exept for you). While this scenario is certainly possible, it is a bit
odd. Is there any possibility that perhaps some of the lines are down?

Well, as a first-year, I have to represent the others and go start a bunch
of telnet sessions now... ;-)

Regards,
Bob
--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.    [log in to unmask]
Macintosh Developer       [log in to unmask]