CONNELLS Archives

August 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Andrew M. Saari" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 12:42:47 -0700
Hey there, I'm a new subscriber to the mailing list.  My name is Andrew
Saari and I'm just beginning to learn how to use the Web and all that.
As soon as I found out there was a Connells mailing list, I subscribed as
well as to the Matthew Sweet and Judybats mailing list. For you Judybats
fans, don't fear the breakup. It'll be for the better. The core of the
members are forming a new group and they're going to be great I feel.
Anyway, I know this is the Connells mailing list so I won't talk about
the Jbats or Sweet anymore, but please listen to their music, you'll be
glad you did!!!

Well, the whole point of writing this letter was to introduce myself, but
I feel the urge to talk about a few of the letters I just read about.
All of the comments are welcome and add different people's opinions to
the various topics, but why the attack on classic rock. I mean, sure,
it's not the most dynamic music ever made, but it does have it's place in
music. I admit, I have many classic rock CDs in my collection, as well I
have many Alternative or College Rock CDs in my collection.  I love them
all and I'll never get rid of them.  Yes, many of the songs weren't very
deep lyrically, but it's fun music and it rocks!!! That's what music can
and should be -- fun -- it's entertainment folks.

The fact that some of our favorite groups even play covers at all is
because it's fun for the fans and it's fun for them to do something
different.  I mean it was absolutely gut-busting funny when the Judybats
did a cover of the Bee Gee's Jive Talkin'!!!  They were having fun and
all of the fans were having fun too.  What more could you ask??

Besides Classic Rock, lets look at 80s music and all the one-hit wonders.
Wow!!!  Can music be any more stupid lyrically???  Songs about Tarzan Boy
by Baltimora and Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant.  The point again is that
many of those songs are stupid too, but very enjoyable to listen to. And
I think a lot of others feel so too, as indicative of the sales of
Totally 80s and records of such.

On to another thing...The Connells are tremendous in cocert.  I saw them
about 2 two ago at MARS in Bloomington, IN -- home of INDIANA
BASKETBALL--Go Hoosiers!!!.  Well, they played songs from every album and
that was just great.  They played to the new fans who were just getting
into their music, they played to moderate fans, and by playing stuff of
the older albums they played to their die hard fans.  I must admit I
haven't always been a huge Connells fan. Ring was the first Album I heard
from them. I loved that and went to see them in concert.  A lot of songs
they played were new to me but I loved them all. A few months, later I
had all the albums and they're at the top of my collection -- and now I
know all the lyrics.  The problem for me is that I had just never heard
of them. I really hope the play somewhere around or in Bloomington
sometime soon.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  Does anybody know if
they'll be coming to Bloomington or Indy or Chicago anytime soon???
Please let me know if you have concert information!!!

Well, bye everyone.  This is a great way to make time fly at work.  Not
much to do anyway though, so I guess it's okay!!!  Hear from you later!!!

Andrew
"Down In The Shacks"