ADHS Archives

October 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"W. Scott Haine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:37:32 -0700
You wrote:

-----------------------
>Sender:       Alcohol and Temperance History Group
>Poster:       Cheryl A Grames <[log in to unmask]>
--------

>I am a graduate student at Penn, and I am hoping for a little guidance
>concerning an essay I must write on the historiography of alcoholism
as a
>disease.  Can anyone shed light on the works that I MUST discuss,
>especially more recent works?  Thanks in advance--  Cheryl Grames

Dear Cheryl,
    I do not have any good sources, other than the ones already being
given to you, but, as editor of the Social History of Alcohol Review I
invite you to submit a five to ten page essay, if you wish, analyzing
the historiography of alcholism.  What defects and gaps, for example,
do you detect in it?  How does it relate, if at all, to your
dissertation topic?  If you are working on the history of drink or
temperance and if it is connected to the questions of gender, please
feel free to send a page-long abstract to me.  I plan to devote a
coming issue of the review to the relations between gender, drink, and
violence.
    If you are not a member of the Alchol and Temperance History Group,
please feel free to join.  Please contact, the secretary, Ron Roizen.
His email address is on the ATHG listserv.
    Best of luck!
                Scott