CONNELLS Archives

October 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tim Rostan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:26:08 +0100
My name is Tim, and I live in Prague, so -- unlike most of this list's
members -- I have no realistic chance of seeing the Connells anytime soon.
What's more, my CD player (which, oddly, came with my new apartment) just
broke down, and it's not under warranty. Something with the laser, I think.
Anyway, it means that not only can I not attend a Connells show, I can't
even listen to one of their CDs. I did hear about 10 seconds of '74-'75
through a pizzeria's sound system last night, but that was hardly enough to
counteract my anger at the place's management for sneaking in a "service"
charge on our bill. The bastards.

Also unlike several of those who have posted introductions, however, I have
seen the Connells numerous times. Probably six or seven. The best was a
show on the central mall at Marquette, my alma mater. There was no worst.
I've seen them in my hometown, Chicago, the other five or six times, at
tiny clubs and midsize theaters. In all cases, they were excellent.

They played in Munich -- about six hours from Prague -- a few weeks ago,
but I found out
too late. When they begin their fall tour, I'd love to hear how the shows
at various places went. I've e-mailed a friend in Charleston that she
should run, not walk, to buy her tickets to the show there.

That's all for now. (Slow day here.)

Tim Rostan
Copy editor
Open Media Research Institute