CONNELLS Archives

November 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Colin Law <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:34:11 -0600
I also made a Connells sampler tape about a year ago...sort of an
all-you-ever-need-to-know about the Connells in 90 minutes or less.
Here's the track listing.

       A                      B
----------------       ----------------
All Sinks In           Stone Cold Yesterday
Carry My Picture       OT^2
Scotty's Lament        Something To Say
Fun & Games            Much Easier
Darker Days            Over There
Elegance               Sat Nite USA
Fine Tuning            Choose A Side
I Suppose              Seven
Hats Off               Take A Bow
Ten Pins               Hey You
If It Crumbles         Try
Too Gone               Upside Down
Just Like Us           Waiting My Turn

Mind you, I am one of the older fans on this mailing list, having first
started seeing the Connells when I went to high school at NCSSM in
1984-1986.  Hence there is a trend towards the first 3 albums.  I think the
first time ever I saw them was opening for Love Tractor on some rickety
stages set up out in front of the Duke chapel which was all pre-Darker Days
by about a year I think.

Which brings me to another point about how a lot of people are commenting
on the less "accessibility" of Darker Days.  I think this has a ton to do
with production value.  That album just frankly sounds like crap compared
to the later ones, but if you were ever around to hear most of those songs
live, you know they rock.  I personally rank "Seven" as one of their best
songs ever.

I wish they would go back and re-record a couple of those, like they did
with Take A Bow off of One Simple Word, and maybe put them on upcoming
EP's/singles.
Its a completely overhauled song from the version on the demo tape I had of
them playing Take A Bow circa 1985.

Colin

Colin Law                |
[log in to unmask]    |       One only needs two tools in life:
http://slashmc.rice.edu/ |
Dept of Space Physics    |           WD-40 to make things go,
Rice University          |        and duct tape to make them stop.
713-527-8750 x3531       |